Guest post, by Melissa Gayle:
you don’t know my story, only bits and pieces, i treat homelessness like its my main thesis. I’ve walked in those shoes, I’ve slept on those streets, i used to be chronically homeless,and ppl looked at me like i was a disease.that was me, you used to pass on that block, tipping up that forty, to keep myself out of the cold shock.
- melissa gayle
That was me freezing on those 27 below nights, that was me you prayed for, to survive throughout the night. That was me you used to serve, from that disaster unit truck, that was me you tried to comfort, in a world full of hurt. My passion is helping the homeless, my pain is seeing us fail, why cant we all get together, and take away this living hell? What happened to being christians, and helping our fellow man? What happened to coming together, to share with the whole world Gods plan? How many more ppl will die on our streets, strickended below poverty? They suffer everyday, they are the face of homelessness. They walk in those worn out shoes. Will they survive? Or die? U choose.
Melissa Gayle gave a spoken word performance of “my story” on December 21, 2011 at a memorial service at Grace Community Church, commemorating National Homeless Persons’ Memorial Day 2011.
US Housing and Urban Development (HUD) today awarded $1.47 billion in renewal funding to more than 7,100 local homeless programs across the country. Homeless service providers in Guilford County will receive $1.5 million.
Guilford County HUD funding recipients:
- Alcohol and Drug Services of Guilford, Inc.; High Point; Project Home Front; SHP; $34,996
- City of High Point; High Point; Housing First; S+C; $77,352
- Family Service of the Piedmont, Inc.; Jamestown; Clara House; SHP; $70,218
- Greensboro Housing Authority; Greensboro; Grace Homes; S+C; $427,536
- Greensboro Housing Authority; Greensboro; Supportive Housing; SHP; $477,369
- Greensboro Housing Authority; Greensboro; Supportive Housing; SHP; $43,730
- Greensboro Urban Ministry; Greensboro; Partnership Village I; SHP; $59,850
- Mary’s House, Inc.; Greensboro; SHP; $135,982
- Open Door Ministries of High Point, Inc.; High Point; Arthur Cassell Transitional Housing Program; SHP; $48,919
- Open Door Ministries of High Point, Inc.; High Point; HMIS – High Point; SHP; $13,750
- Open Door Ministries of High Point, Inc.; High Point; ODM Permanent Supportive Housing Project; SHP; $62,159
- The Salvation Army; Case Management/After Care; High Point; SHP; $19,274
- The Servant Center, Inc.; Greensboro; Servant House; SHP; $47,586
- Youth Focus Inc.; Greensboro; Youth Focus Transitional Living Program; SHP; $51,700
SHP = The Supportive Housing Program is designed to develop supportive housing and services that will allow homeless persons to live as independently as possible.
S+C = The Shelter Plus Care Program provides rental assistance for hard-to-serve homeless persons with disabilities in connection with supportive services funded from sources outside the program.